Monday, April 2, 2012

Magic Potion

I HATE cleaning the bathroom.  Hate with a capital H-A-T-E.  It grosses me out.  All other chores I dislike because they are boring and there are other things I would rather be doing.  But, let’s face it, cleaning the bathroom is gross.

I find it especially disgusting in a rental.  I always feel like I’m cleaning strangers leftover bathroom ick, no matter how many times I clean.  The walls were (until yesterday) particularly grimy.  (I won’t show you a before picture because I don’t want to be responsible for replacing your keyboard after you throw up all over it.)  I’ve mentioned before the mold we’re growing.  By now we could probably start our own penicillin factory.  I’ve tried to clean the walls a few times to no avail.  I’ve used all kinds of different chemical concoctions on them.  I had a particularly frustrating run in with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

But yesterday I discovered a magic potion.  This potion cleans better, is less expensive, and is more eco friendly than any other cleaning solution I have ever tried. There are three parts to this magic potion.

1.  Baking Soda
2.  Water
3.  Sponge




No.  Seriously.  That’s it.  

I’ve been reading all these posts online about how baking soda and vinegar are the only two cleaning products you need.  Ever.  So I thought I’d give it a shot.  I mixed up a bit of baking soda with some water into a fairly runny paste.  And then I started scrubbing.

I started on the wall behind the sink where all the toothpaste splatter hits.  When I stepped back to look at the result, I said the following out loud in my bathroom:  “Holy *expletive that is appropriate to use while standing in a bathroom*!”  Immediately followed by “Z!  Come here!!!”  I had to show off the results.  Z was as impressed as I was.

I did the rest of the walls.  This stuff is amazing.  It took off all the strange orange sticky spots of alien spawn grime that had been there since we moved in.  It got rid of the yellow nicotine sheen from the previous tenants.  It tackled the dirt that had caked into the textured grooves of the paint (note to self:  I will never Ever EVER have textured walls in a house where I can control that sort of thing).  And the most amazing thing?  It significantly lightened the mold spots above our bathtub.  I’m telling ya:  Magic Potion.  This stuff will change your life.




To make Magic Potion:
Mix baking soda and water in a shallow dish so that it forms a fairly runny paste.  Using a bit of elbow grease, apply to walls.  Rinse out sponge and wipe down walls with plain water (this is important, otherwise you leave a gritty film of baking soda all over everything).

Note:  We have white (well, grimy yellow) walls in our town house.  I do not know how this treatment will affect painted walls.  Use at your own risk.  I am not responsible for the results.

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. I have a plethora of cleaning products that do NOT work..the only thing that will come close is the magic eraser, and even that takes a lot of scrubbing. I also like that baking soda is a lot safer than all those harsh chemicals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATED the magic eraser. Despised it. This worked soooo much better and it didn't disintegrate in my hand like the M.E. did. Good luck! Let me know how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have white walls thru out the entire house and so my question is will this potion change the colors on wall? I can see streaks on water on our bathroom wall from everyone trying to dry their hands after washing hands. I'm afraid that it will be very noticeable. I can't use me clean magic eraser b that stuff will strips the white paint

    ReplyDelete